Thursday, September 4, 2008

School Bullying


Lucky for us, we go to a school with students who are respectful, and school bullying isn't as bad as it can be at other schools. If you haven't read the article on the new school rules regarding bullying, the article says the new rules how each school will be required to assign a staff member to whom students can go to with help for student bullying, and the schools are required to post complaints within 24 hours. Our school has been well ahead of this with the advisory program.

This connects to our classroom discussions because we have been talking about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I believe this connects to it because people should all have the same opportunities to be happy and to live the life they want to live, without other people effecting their lives negatively.

My personal connection to this article, is by coincidence, earlier this week I met the author of the book, Odd Girl Out, Rachel Simmons. Her book focuses on female aggression and meanness within girls. We talked about why girls in particular feel the need to be superior over other girls? Although I haven't come to the conclusion, but I have concluded that this goes against what is stated in the Declaration of Independence.




Article;

New School Rules on Bias Bullying, Associated Press, Published September 3, 2008, New York Times Online

1 comment:

Vanessa Alcaraz said...

This article stood out to me the most because I related to this issue that were being discussed.When I went to my last school I was always out casted for being different and i'm glad to see that situation being taken care of.

Another reason why i liked this blog was because it had lots of convenient resources to look back on, such as the artical link and the book that she personally read.