Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Day of Internship :)

For my internship, I am interning at a PR Firm that works with public organizations. I was very nervous but also very excited. Since I found my own internship had met my mentor and several other employees before so I wasn't nervous about meeting them for the first time, I had already gone through that. After I drove myself to internship, I took the elevator to the 6th floor, and entered the offices.

When I got there, the receptionist recognized me, and took me to my mentors office. Once I got to his office, he showed me to my cubicle, where I have my own desk and my own computer. After that he brought me to the Human Resources Manager's office, where I was introduced to her. With her I received all the information I need to work my computer, filled out some liability paperwork, and read through the company code of conduct. After I was done with that, she introduced me to everyone in the office; The owner of the company, the vice-presidents, the secretaries and the two other interns. She showed me how to use the copy machine, fax machine, the coffee machine and how to answer the telephones properly.

After that I went back to my desk to set up my computer. I logged onto their internet help site, and someone instructed me on how to set up my outlook email, and log on to their inner-office instant messaging system. After I was all set up, I went to my mentors office where we went over different projects I would be working on. I then looked through old paperwork on two of the projects I will be working on, and researched them briefly on the internet. Then I started my first assignment! I was to take a 12 page data paper into a one page letter. I used a lot of my revising skills from class, and it really helped. After that I saved my work, filled out my time card, said goodbye to my mentor and went home for the day.

Today was really successful and I have a really good feeling about my internship

No comments: