Monday, February 9, 2009

The Great Gatsby




The Great Gatsby is a novel that addresses many issues. Scott Fitzgerald develops the theme using literacy devices such as symbolism, character description and historical evidence through the book.

The main symbol used through out the novel is the reference to the green light. The green light represents Gatsby's hopes and dreams for the future. Gatsby reaches towards his goal with a guiding light. Gatsby's quest for daisy is similar to the American Dream, the ideal situation. "I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon," the green light.

As apart of the theme of The Great Gatsby, there is a huge conflict involving love, and affair. With different characters loving those who they shouldn't, this time period was an era of moral values. Characters were married, but in love with other people."I don't like mysteries, and I don't understand why you won't come out frankly and tell me what you want. Why has it all got to come through Miss Baker (Page72)" Due to diverse social classes, Jay Gatsby could never be with Daisy Buchanan. He didn't make enough money to support the materialistic lifestyle she had been accustom to.

The great Gatsby takes place in America in the 1920's, in the midst of the great depression. Money is an issue between Daisy and Gatsby, and their relationship. The sociology of wealth is question through judgment. " I've got a man in England who buys me clothes.He sends me over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall." This quote said by Daisy is very diverse from a quote said by Gatsby. " I was in the dug business and then I was in the oil business. Now I'm, not in either one." This shows the diverse social classes, and the struggle of acceptance.

No comments: