Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Internship Immersion

How could immersion impact your experience as a student?

Internship immersion completely changed my view on internship. I went from thinking of internship as a task to do twice a week, another class, and another assignment, to something that was a major part of my life. It became something that I planned for, and it changed the way I prepared for the day and the things that I thought about. I had to add time for traffic, to look professional, and make sure I didn't overbook any meetings. As a student, all I thought about was getting to school on time, and completing all of my homework. I didn't plan as much as I did during immersion. Since the hours were different all the time, and I would be going to internship in different locations, I had to plan ahead and know what time, where, what I was doing, and how long I was going to be there beforehand.

At internship, I was expected to always be professional, but I felt I had to be even more professional because I was a high school student. I had to earn their respect, and show them that I can produce high quality pieces of work. Internship Immersion was the perfect chance for me to do that. I was given more projects to work on, which means I had to organize and balance my time, and be aware of all of the deadlines, and also plan ahead for unsuspected tasks that may come my way. By showing everyone that I was capable of doing this, they were able to see what kind of student, as well as what kind of worker I am.

No comments: